|Teacher Education Program|
Teacher Education Program at Limestone College is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), www.ncate.org. This accreditation covers initial teacher preparation programs at Limestone College. However, the accreditation does not include individual education courses that the institution offers to P-12 educators for professional development, relicensure, or other purposes.
Employment rate of 2013-2014 Graduates: 92% Graduate School: 8%
3-year loan default rate: 7%
Average Cost of Attendance: $34979
Average Starting Salary of Graduates: $34799
Candidate Resources for Application to Teacher Education Program
Admission to the Teacher Education Program is by written application. Students seeking teacher certification must successfully complete courses in general education, professional education, and the area of specialization. Prior to the application for entrance into the Student Teaching Program, students should successfully complete institutional requirements in verbal and quantitative skills.
The following steps must be completed by students seeking admission:
1. Submit passing scores on all three sections of the Praxis I examination as required by the State of South Carolina. Praxis I is a test of basic skills in reading, writing, and mathematics which state law requires a student to pass before being admitted to a Teacher Education Program. No student will be allowed to register for any education course numbered above ED 300 or for any content area methods course until he/she submits passing scores on all three sections of Praxis I. A student may be excused from the Praxis I. requirement if he/she documents a score of 1100 or higher on the two-part Scholastic Aptitude Test, 1650 on the three-part Scholastic Aptitude Test or 24 on the American College Test.
2. Complete Education 200 with a grade of C or better. Graduates of the Teacher Cadet Program receive transfer credit for Education 200.
3. Complete 45 semester hours of college credit which appears on the advisory records with a cumulative Grade Point Ratio of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (2.6 if first semester at LC was fall 2014, 2.75 if first semester at LC was fall 2015).
4. Submit an application form and three letters of recommendation (or reference forms), one from a professor of general education, one from a professor in the education program, and one from a public school professional.
5. Gain approval by the faculty of the academic division of Limestone College in which the degree program is administered. (English Education candidates must adhere to the essay and interview process outlined by the English department.)
6. Gain approval by the Teacher Education Committee.
Faculty Reference Form (3 required)
Candidate Resources for Application to Student Teach
www.L1enrollment.com (Go here to make an appointment to get your fingerprints for FBI background check.)
Candidate Resources for Praxis Exams
Candidate Resources for Field Experiences
Candidate Resources for Directed Student Teaching (Clinical Practice)
Additional Resources for Candidates
Cooperating Teacher Resources