- Central Access Reader (CAR) is free, open source, text-to- speech application designed specifically for students with print-related disabilities. CAR reads Word Docs and pasted text using the voice installed on your computer. CAR has an intuitive interface and many customizable features. Mac + PC
- LD Advisory Helpful Links
- Students with Disabilities: Preparing for Postsecondary Education
- Financial Aid for Disabled Students
- HEATH Resource Center at the National Youth Transitions Center
- Jane Jarrow Letter to Parents
- With Dictation, you can use the magic of speech recognition to write emails, narrate essays and long documents in the browser without touching the keyboard.
Career Development Resources for Students with Disabilities
- “Preparing for a Career: An Online Tutorial” by DO-IT
- National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability
- Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) at the U.S. Department of Labor
- The Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
- USAJOBS - information about working for the Federal government.
- Resources for Job Seekers with Disabilities by Respectability
Free/Low-Cost Assistive Technology
The NVDA screen reader can be downloaded free of charge by anyone.