Philosophy and Goals
The philosophy of the Department of Music is to provide the highest quality music education for both the music major pursuing a career as a performer, educator, and scholar, and for the non-major and member of the community learning about music as a part of a liberal arts tradition and of human culture and experience. The goals of the Department of Music are:
- To prepare students to function professionally in their field of music.
- To provide appropriate musical experiences for students in the liberal arts program.
- To prepare students to pursue advanced study in their respective areas.
- To encourage in all students the development of musical sensitivity and an understanding of the aesthetic process.
- To provide for the College and community the enrichment afforded by a variety of musical experiences
The Department of Music offers numerous opportunities for both individual and group performance. Performance groups include the Wind Ensemble, Jazz Combo, Chorus, Brass Ensemble, Woodwind Ensemble, Piano Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Show Choir, Men's Ensemble, iPan Steel Band Ensemble, and Saxophone Quartet. Participation scholarships are available to non-majors who enroll in a music ensemble. Music majors and students in other disciplines have access to private instruction for credit. They are also eligible for membership in the college chapter of Music Educators National Conference.
In addition, the Department has recently established a Marching Band. For more information contact Dr. Patrick Carney at extension 4508 or by email at pcarney[at]limestone[dot]edu