Winnie Davis Hall of History: Back from the Brink

Although a formal celebration is not scheduled to be held until April, the Winnie Davis Hall of History is-for the first time in over three decades-open for classes at Limestone College.

The much-anticipated move became a reality with the start of the Spring 2010 semester on January 13.

An eighteen-month, $4.8 million renovation initiative brought the building from the brink of ruin back to its standing as the "jewel of the Limestone campus." The result is a striking, yet picture-perfect balance between contemporary technology and the building's original Romanesque style.

Take a look at the new Winnie Davis Hall of History in this slideshow.

Winnie Davis features ornate, arched Gothic windows, an octagonal tower with skylight and a double staircase in the entry foyer. Inside are six state-of-the-art multi-media classrooms with wireless capabilities throughout. Although the classrooms will be used primarily for history and honors courses, other humanities and social science classes will also be taught in the hall. Museum and gallery display areas will focus on Southern history generally and Limestone College history in particular. The top level houses office space for the College Historian and other faculty.

Completed in 1904 under the leadership of College President Dr. Lee Davis Lodge and named after the daughter of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, Winnie Davis Hall of History was built to promote the study of Southern history and Southern literature.