Dr. Corbett began her career in higher education as an Adjunct Professor roughly five years before making the decision to transition full-time into academia in 2016. When asked about her professional passion, Dr. Corbett states, "I cannot think of a more rewarding means to further my contribution to the field of health care than to share my passion, knowledge and experience with aspiring health care professionals."
For over a decade, Dr. Corbett has served in various senior leadership roles in health care organizations. She founded a health care consulting firm, based out of Charlotte, NC in 2014 to assist health care organizations with regulatory compliance and clinical/ financial operations management. Prior to founding Corbett Healthcare Solutions, Dr. Corbett served as the Deputy Director of Health Regulation for the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. As Deputy Director, she was responsible for overseeing operations to ensure regulatory compliance was maintained at all 6,000+ licensed health care facilities and agencies, and by 20,000+ licensees/registrants across the state. This included monitoring major regulatory policy issues occurring at the state and federal levels, leading the promulgation of state regulations, and providing guidance to healthcare providers, consumers, advocacy groups and political constituents. In addition to working in the public sector and working as an entrepreneur, Dr. Corbett has led large for-profit and nonprofit health care organizations.
Dr. Corbett is a Carolina born and bred Tar Heel! Her favorite pastimes are traveling, cycling and watching local sporting events. In addition to her passion for teaching higher education, Dr. Corbett has a special affinity for seniors. She especially enjoys advocating for and advancing the quality of health care for the older adult population.
• American College of Healthcare Executives (2004 – 2006, 2015 - present)
• American Health Care Association (2006 - present) – Bronze Commitment to Quality Award (2013), Advocacy Coalition, Participant of Spring Congressional Briefing
• LeadingAge of North Carolina (2009-2013)
• National Association of Health Services Executives (2004 - 2006)
• North Carolina Health Care Facilities Association - Provider Relations Council Member (2009 – 2013, 2015 - present)
• South Carolina Board of Long Term Care Administrators – Board Member (2013 - 2014)
• South Carolina Governor’s Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Council Member (2013 - 2014)
• South Carolina Institute of Medicine & Public Health (IMPH) Long Term-Care Task Force – Providers & Workforce Subcommittee (2013 - 2014)
• South Carolina Public Health Association (2004 - 2006, and 2013 - 2014)
• South Carolina Public Health Consortium (2013 – 2014)
• Virginia Health Care Association – Provider Relations Council Member (2006 - 2008)
Under her leadership, she rapidly transitioned a healthcare organization from a 1-star to a 5-star overall quality rating, landing a ranking in the top 10% of all facilities in the nation by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) in 2013. The facility was featured on www.msn.com and in the US News & World Report for successfully achieving the government's highest quality rankings.
- Doctor of Health Administration - Medical University of South Carolina (2015)
- Master of Health Administration - University of South Carolina at Columbia (2006)
- Bachelor of Arts, English - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2004)