Credit may be earned by degree seeking students by means of a special examination subject to the following requirements.
- The student must apply in writing for the examination. A Day student's request must be approved by the student's advisor and the head of the department in which the course is taught. An Extended Campus student's request must be approved by the advisor and the Director of the Extended Campus. Program Application forms are available from the advisor, the Registrar's Office, or the Extended Campus Office.
- A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of all degree requirements may be earned through credit by examination.
- Academic divisions have the option of using a CLEP examination or an examination prepared in the division.
- Credit cannot be earned by examination for any course in which a grade has been received nor for any course which has been audited.
- To earn credit by examination, a student must obtain a score equivalent to a letter grade of “C” or better as determined by each academic department or obtain a passing score for a CLEP subject or general examination course as recommended by American Council on Education (ACE).
- If the student attains an acceptable grade, he/she is awarded credit for the course, but not a grade. The credit hours are not counted in computing the student’s grade point average. Unsuccessful attempts to earn credit by examination do not become a part of the student’s permanent record.
- A fee of $30.00 per semester hour is charged for each Limestone College test. This fee is charged before the student takes the test and is non-refundable.
- Courses for which a student earns credit by examination are considered transfer credits. Credit by examination is not included in the total earned credit hours for graduation honors.
- Seniors who are graduating in May must request credit by examination no later than March 15th. The examination must be completed for May graduates no later than April 1st.
- Seniors who are graduating in December must request credit by examination no later than October 15th. The examination must be completed for December graduates no later than November 1st."
Please submit completed Credit by Examination Request Form to your advisor for approval.